Introduction to Documentation and Conservation of Built Heritage in the Arab Region
COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT 2017
Under the Patronage of H.H. Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah, the ICCROM-ATHAR Regional Conservation Centre in Sharjah (ICCROM-ATHAR), committed to the safeguarding of cultural heritage in the Arab region, for the benefit of local societies, individual countries and the region as a whole through the dissemination of the best practices in heritage conservation and management, is offering an introductive course programme composed of five course modules on: “Introduction to Documentation and Conservation of Built Heritage in the Arab Region”. This programme focuses on the professional development of those institutions and individuals whose task it is to look after cultural heritage. These one-week training modules will address the following areas:
- Introduction to Architectural Documentation for Built Heritage
- Introduction to Conservation of Stone and Mortar
- Introduction to Structural Conservation
- Principles of Conservation in the Management of Historic Sites
- Introduction to Conservation of Earthen Architecture
** Attendance on three of the five modules is mandatory in order to obtain the course certificate for this introductive course programme of ICCROM-ATHAR.
Module fees for the three modules will be of 1600 US Dollars.
Should you wish to participate in more than the three required modules, please indicate this request on the application form.
Participants and Admission
The module is intended for 15 – 20 heritage professionals working in the Arab states, including archaeologists, architects, art historians, collections and site managers, conservators-restorers, conservation scientists, curators, directors of museums, gallery and archive professionals, etc. Admission to the module will be subject to selection criteria including:
- Professional background: at least a Bachelor degree in a relevant field of study.
- Letter of intent: candidates are requested to provide a letter stating clearly the reasons for applying to the module, what they hope to learn from it, and how it will benefit them and their institution, country, or future employer.
- Employment: priority is given to professionals affiliated with institutions working in relevant fields.
- Work experience: those who have already gained at least two years of practical or research experience in the field will have priority.
- Insurance: All participants should also have health and accident insurance. Upon selection, they should return to ICCROM a signed medical and accident participant’s release form.
- Working languages: The main working language will be in Arabic. Proficiency of English and/or French will be an asset, particularly to communicate with international teaching team and to be able to pursue research work and reading of reference materials.
- Financial Resources / Support: A request for financial support should be indicated in the application form. ICCROM-ATHAR will provide a few scholarships (subject to evaluation), to cover accommodation, meals and travel for the duration of the course.
Please use the application form available on this web site. Applications should be endorsed by the relevant ministry or entity in the candidate’s home country. The carefully completed forms should be sent to:
ICCROM-ATHAR Regional Conservation Centre in Sharjah, UAE
PO Box: 48777 Sharjah, UAE
Tel: +971 (0)6 555 2250; Fax: +971 (0)6 555 2213
For candidates who need a visa, in order to save time, please send:
- Passport copy
- personal photo with a white background