Job title: ICT Assistant
Type of Contract: Service contract/ Local recruitment
Duration: One year
Duty station: Sharjah, UAE
Reference Number: SHJ/2019-01
Deadline (Midnight Rome Time): 16 June 2019
ICCROM (International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property) is an intergovernmental organization with headquarters in Rome, Italy. Founded by UNESCO in 1956, it is the only institution of its kind with a worldwide mandate to promote and improve the conservation practice of all types of cultural heritage through training, information, research, cooperation and advocacy. ICCROM through its Regional Centre (ICCROM-ATHAR Conservation Centre in Sharjah) has been extensively engaged in training and advocacy activities in the Arab Region.
ICCROM-Sharjah Regional Conservation Centre is a regional field office of ICCROM. The Centre was established by ICCROM and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) following decisions made at ICCROM’s 27th General Assembly November 2011. The Centre represents ICCROM for the service of its Arab member states. Its legal status in the UAE followed a decision made by the Council of Ministers of the UAE on 29 March 2015, and a headquarters agreement signed between ICCROM and the UAE Government (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) on 27 October 2015. ICCROM-ATHAR dedicated its activities, since its inception, to the protection of cultural heritage in the Arab region and broadening access, appreciation and understanding of its rich history. Basing its philosophy, goals and activities on its wide knowledge and experience in the Arab region, it is working today to enhance and support the work of official heritage institutions to manage heritage sites, historic monuments and museum collections on sustainable basis through a series of regional and national activities including: (1) capacity building and continuing education; (2) outreach and communication; (3) dissemination of knowledge; and, (4) cultural heritage policy development and guidance. In addition, the Centre works on pilot field projects at the request of ICCROM Member States from the Arab region.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Under the overall management of the Director of ICCROM-ATHAR Centre in Sharjah, UAE and the direct supervision of the Operation Officer, the ICT Assistant’s role is to provide technical, operational and procedural support and end-user services in the implementation, maintenance and improvement of information and communication technology systems, procedures and activities of Sharjah Regional Office, in accordance with the ICT work plan, and consistent with the Regional Programme Management Plan.
The incumbent will achieve key results. In particular, s/he will:
- Assist to implement ICT management systems and strategies;
- Timely and effectively support to the continuity of ICT services and implementation of ICT systems in the country office;
- Support to run effective functioning of the regional office hardware and software packages;
- Support networks administration in the regional office;
- Provide administrative support to track inventory system;
- Provide documentation and training of the ICT processes and procedures to maintain internal knowledge continuity and competency.
The incumbent will be responsible for the processes and functions undertaken to achieve the following results:
- Assisting the office in implementing set standards for applications that meet the needs of the users and supports the overall Information and Communication Technology.
- Performing routine technical tasks, including troubleshooting of ICT hardware equipment in the office; i.e., laptops, desktops, printers, digital senders, etc.
- Monitoring and maintaining the LAN, network servers, pouters, LAN points, switches, patch panels and access points to prevent faults occurring.
- Carrying out missions for new installations and routine maintenance tours of ICT equipment.
- Performing installation of commercial and in-house developed software with related upgrades.
- Supporting to the regional office in all IT and connectivity issues and responding to users’ needs and questions regarding network access.
- Monitoring of file server traffic, usage and performance on a frequent and regular basis in addition to adding and removing users from the networks.
- Ensuring that ICT problem recovery is done as quickly as possible and making regular system back-ups.
- Supporting the users in backing up and restoring their files, as well as in virus detection, removal and prevention.
- Perform trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems.
- Participation and assistance in the organization of training for the local staff on ICT issues.
- Certifying ICT-related invoices and delivery notes and pass them for payment processing.
- Evaluate needs for upgrading and eventually replacing ICT equipment in the regional office.
- Selecting the most efficient and economic means for the transmission of messages, taking into consideration the nature and priority of communications to be transmitted.
- Preparing technical emails and memoranda on ICT matters, especially for purchasing and operating procedures documentation on ICT equipment and software.
- Maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of software and hardware and keep track of movements of ICT equipment. In addition, maintain stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Procurement and Administration departments.
- Liaising with the ICT Manager at ICCROM-HQ to ensure following institutional strategies and policies for the organization.
- Performing other duties as required by the management.
- To decide on appropriate resolutions to incidents.
- Escalating incidents where they cannot be resolved at the office level.
University degree in Computer Science, computer literacy and networking systems, or any related discipline to Information Technology.
The position requires good knowledge of LAN and TCP/IP networking, Microsoft Windows Operating Systems, Microsoft Office 2013/2016 and Office 365; Good knowledge of desktop security tools including firewall, web filter, virus and malware protection; Good knowledge of helpdesk procedures; Ability to analyze and troubleshoot problems; Ability to write technical reports. Good knowledge of UN ICT System is highly desirable.
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Producing results
- Respecting and Promoting Individual and Cultural Differences
- Creating an Empowering and Motivating Environment
Essential: at least four years of previous relevant experience in the ICT field, user support, server operating systems, LAN support, desktop/laptop troubleshooting, MS Windows operating system, MS Office supports, Internet. Experience with an UN agency, a project funded by UN or INGO is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written).
- Good knowledge of Arabic is highly desirable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit at the following email address: a motivation letter, updated CV in English with personal photo and a completed Personal History Form (P11) prior to the closing date of the vacancy.
Applications missing any of the above elements, duly completed, will unfortunately not be considered.
This position may be subject to a written test. Only short–listed candidates will be contacted.
Candidates must be Emirati citizens or hold a valid local work permit at the time of application. No relocation fees apply for this position.
Applications in English only are to be sent no later than 16 June 2019 to: email@example.com
Elements to be included are the following:
- Cover letter addressing relevant experience
- Current CV
- P11 Form
Applications missing any of the above elements will not be considered.
This position may be subject to a written test.
Only short–listed candidates will be contacted.
ICCROM is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.