Dr. Stefano De Caro, Director-General ICCROM met with H.H. Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah at the Ruler’s Office. The two parties exchanged views on multiple issues regarding ICCROM’s international and regional projects, especially programmes related to the Arab region to be implemented through its ICCROM-ATHAR Regional Conservation Centre in Sharjah (ICCROM-ATHAR). The Centre’s future plans and activities were discussed. Dr. Zaki Aslan, Director ICCROM-ATHAR, presented a five-year plan which was approved, confirming Sharjah’s continued support with regards to the Centre and allowing it to continue implementing its activities and plans servicing the region.
H.H. Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Mohammed al Qasimi stressed the importance of addressing the issue of world heritage in general, and cultural heritage in the Arab region, greatly threatened due to current regional conflicts. In this light, the importance of training heritage professionals was emphasised in order to promote the field of cultural heritage preservation in the region, as well as the necessity of building capacities of professionals working in the field through academic programmes envisaged in partnership with the University of Sharjah.
- Sultan meets top cultural official (Gulf Today)
- Sharjah Ruler meets ICCROM’s Director-General (WAM – Emirates News Agency)
- Sharjah Ruler meets ICCROM’s Director-General (ZAWYA – Thomson Reuters)
- سلطان يدعو إلى تأهيل العاملين في مجال التراث
- سلطان القاسمي: التأهيل الأكاديمي للكوادر العاملة في مجال التراث ضرورة
- القاسمي يعتمد خطة المركز الإقليمي لحفظ التراث
- حاكم الشارقة يلتقي مدير عام الايكروم
- Director-General meets with Sharjah Ruler (ICCROM Press)